Camp Reveal’s History
Since its inception, Camp Reveal has been a place of rest and relaxation. Dr. Ernest “Pappy” Reveal, founder of the Evansville Rescue Mission, literally prayed it into existence. In 1925, Pappy Reveal saw a need for a camp where hundreds of mothers and children could go to get away from the worries of the world, be fed and most of all be taught the principles of Christian living and receive the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
In 1927, the dream became a reality when the Mission purchased land north of Evansville to establish Camp Reveal. The land was purchased for $1.00 an acre, and included a large old house and two barns on 107 acres of land. The barns would later become the Tabernacle and boy’s dorm. During Pappy’s life, the camp remained a place used exclusively by mothers and their children for Mission programs.After Pappy’s death in 1959, mothers no longer felt the need of the services that Camp Reveal provided considering there was a greater need for more diverse social service programs. After a brief period when the camp was not used, Mission directors decided to make two major changes in programming that still exist to this day. First, the target group for services changed to serve children from low income families. Children, ages 8-13, from throughout the Tri-State, were given the opportunity to spend one of three free weeks at Camp Reveal, playing and swimming but most of all hearing the gospel of Jesus Christ. Secondly, the camp was renovated and marketed to attract church & business groups as well as families, to hold summer camps, retreats and other activities on the campgrounds, thereby providing additional income to support our free Summer Camp program for children whose families live at or below the federal poverty line.
Camp Reveal HomeFacilitiesRental OptionsDay CampSummer Camp